This place is no less than any dream-like scenery. It is for a reason, Kedarkantha trek is one of the most preferred and famous treks of the country. The beauty that resides here is just so glamorous that every beautiful scenery that you have seen in movies or shows fades in front of it. Every person that once comes here carries its memories and serene beauty in their hearts forever. As high as mountains and as white as snow should be the extended lyrics when one talks about The Kedarkantha trek. And to plan for this amazing and beautiful trip, the following article contains all the information that you need:
Located deep in the Govind Pashu Vihar National Park, Western Garhwal district, in the State of Uttarakhand, the trek rests at a height of 12,500 feet and is stretched with 20 km of surreal beauty. The trek is not really easy and very hard, it is a moderate one, under the reach of Beginners, with proper physical fitness, stamina, and mental health, as well as professionals. The climb keeps on getting steep with every step ahead. But with the Himalayas around to keep you company, all efforts seem fruitful and the stunning views that are constant in front of you help you to get to the top.
2. Best time to visit:
The trek should be visited in different months for every season has a different way to beautify the place.
- The Winter season, December to January brings the beautiful snow which covers the trek completely as the snowfall here is abundant. Not to worry as the snow is not troublesome rather it makes the place more surreal, but the temperature drops and it gets very cold.
- Lush green vegetation with blooming flowers and charming water streams welcomes you in the Spring and Summer season, that is in the months of March to June. There is no snowfall at this time, but leftover snow could be seen. The weather is warm and beautiful meadows are at your sight. There is rainfall as well by mid-June which enhances the beauty of the place.
- The Autumn season comes with a less warm temperature but the scenic beauty of Meadows, greenery and mountains, and mild rainfall by the end of September.
3. The route of the trek:
The places and attractions of the trek, in sequence are explained below.
- One needs to reach the Sankari village from where the trek begins. It takes around 6 hours from Dehradun to reach here, covering a distance of 187 km. The journey is beautiful, filled with Pine forests and the Yamuna river on the way as well.
- Then from Sankari, the trek goes up to Juda Ka Talab, where the creator, Lord Shiva, himself came to meditate. It’s a 4 km trek only taking about 3-4 hrs to cover. Camp at this place which gives a star-struck view of the sky.
- From Juda Ka Talab, the next destination is the Base camp. On the way get to see the Majestic and truly awesome Himalayan peaks of Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, Kala Nag, and Rangala. These views will leave you awe-struck for a while and your eyes will just capture this moment forever. It is 6 km long and takes 6-7 hrs to reach. Camp at the Base overnight.
- Next is to the Kedarkantha Summit, The best day of the trek. The sunrise coming out of the mighty mountains of Yamunotri, Gangotri, and Kinner Kailash will enter through your eyes and touch your soul. The heavenly and breath-taking views will just live in your heads forever. This trek is 6 kms and will take around 4-5 hrs to reach. Spend some time at the summit and leave for the campsite.
- From Base camp, start descending down the mountains to reach Sankari, which is 6 km long and will take 4-5 hours to reach. Spend time with the locals there and peek into their lifestyles. Spend the night at sankari.
- On the last day, from Sankari, travel back to Dehradun, ending the 6 day Trek.